Just the other day, I was feeling sorry for myself when I realized we have no big adventures planned for this summer. My co-workers have been galavanting all over Europe and friends are taking some pretty fabulous trips. Then, I started thinking how uh, I guess we DO have a big adventure planned for the summer — we’re having a baby! We even have to pack for this big adventure. For someone who packs for trips a week in advance, one would think our bags have been packed for weeks now. But, with a busy summer schedule and perhaps a little trauma from my last pregnancy, it just kept dropping down on the priority list. But we finally got around to it, and here’s what we’re packing:
- Two nightgowns (one to possibly labor in and one for postpartum)
- Two nursing bras and two nursing tanks
- Wunder Unders
- Oiselle lux track pants
- Zip up hoodie
- Three options for baby’s coming home outfit — in two different sizes
- Headphones and an external speaker for listening to my Hypnobabies tracks
- Swaddle blankets
- Flip flops and slipper socks
- Extra copies of our birth plan
- A couple of outfits
- Hypnobabies birth partners’ guide
- Nursing pillows
- Books – the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding and Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn
- Nursing pads and nipple balm
- A cooler that J calls “the placenta cooler,” which is fitting because, well, my placenta will be going in it
- Camera bag with our DSLR
- Birth ball (we may or may not bring our own or just use one at the hospital)
- Our own pillows
- SNACKS. In J’s mind, this is the most important thing we’re packing. I’ll be honest, even if I’m not up for eating during labor (which I’m allowed to do), I’ll be glad we have these for the middle of the night AND because J gets h-a-n-g-r-y. So far we have:
- Coconut water to keep me hydrated throughout labor
- Blue Diamond lightly salted and (my favorite) roasted salted almonds – some satisfying, healthy fats
- Granola bars – an easy, portable snack. I try to find a brand that doesn’t have too much sugar.
- Beef jerky – protein!
- Gummy bears – I love anything gummy, and these might be good for some sugar during labor?
- White cheddar Pirate’s Booty – I’m addicted to this stuff.
Am I overpacked? Yep! I usually do, and I knew that I’d especially be prone to overpacking for this.
Any other snacks we should throw in the bag?
What big summer adventures do you have planned?