Garry Bjorklund Half Marathon Training: Week Three

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: 3.5 miles (9:35 pace)

Tuesday evening after putting Calvin to bed, I laced up my running shoes for my weekly run with Andrea and Kate. My legs felt extremely heavy, but I figured that was to be expected after taking an entire week off from running.

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday: 3 miles (9:28 pace)

I got in a quick three miles over the lunch hour since I had a work event Thursday evening. It was pretty warm out and my legs still felt heavy. I found myself feeling out of breath running up even the slightest incline.

Friday: Rest

Saturday: Run the Valley 5K – 26:51 (1st in AG and 7th female overall)


Saturday morning, Calvin woke up to eat at 5:15 a.m., and since my alarm was set for 5:45, I just stayed up after putting him back down. I headed to the kitchen to get some breakfast and had to pat myself on the back for making a breakfast cookie the night before for one less thing to worry about on race morning!

Along with my cookie, I had a cup of decaf and a glass of water. It was supposed to be around 58 degrees at race time, so I decided on my Oiselle singlet and a pair of distance shorts. I also wore some compression socks and threw a pair of arm warmers and a hat into my bag, just in case.

Andrea picked me up and we arrived at the Brookview Community Center in Golden Valley a few minutes before 7:30 a.m. We got our packets, used the bathroom (not a porta potty – woo!) and did a quick warm up before lining up for the 8:10 start. I ended up skipping the arm warmers, but opted to wear the hat.

We started out closer to the front than the middle. Once we started, we really didn’t have to do too much weaving, and also weren’t getting passed, so it felt like a good position to have started in. I had zero goals going into this and wasn’t even sure I was going to race it — even though that’s what my training plan called for. With the disappointing runs earlier in the week, I had no idea what I would be capable of after we crossed the starting line.

But once we took off, I felt surprisingly good and the heaviness in my legs had disappeared. After a cautious first mile in 8:52, I officially made the decision to give the rest of the race all I had. The next mile felt great — I over took a few runners and saw the second mile clock in at 8:12 on my Garmin. Not too long after that is when things started hurting.

We started up a gradual incline that felt like it was never going to end. One person I had passed earlier passed me on the hill and I felt a moment of panic that I wasn’t going to have any kick left in me for the end. But once at the top of the hill, I regained my focus and set my sights on the fact that I had less than one mile to go.

As I neared the finish, I was able to dig deep and increase my pace (not as much as I would’ve liked) and passed the runner who got me on the hill. As I crossed the finish line and heard the announcer say I was in the top ten for women! I couldn’t believe it!

Once Andrea crossed the line just moments later, we headed into the community center and loaded up with post-race snacks. Of course, the donuts were calling my name.


The posted race results are a little weird, with some “unknowns” posted, but if they are indeed accurate, I may have pulled off an AG win! That’ll teach me for leaving early! It felt really good to race again and it was also a wake up call that I’ve got a LONG way to go to get back to my 2012-2013 level of fitness.

I will DEFINITELY run this race again next year. It was well organized, had a nice-sized field, a good course and good race swag!

Sunday: 2.89 mile walk and a 1.29 mile walk

It was another gorgeous day, so Calvin and I met a friend for a walk around Lake Harriet. Calvin was fussy for the first part of the walk, but that escalated to full on screaming by the time we got halfway around the lake. So guess who got to carry a 20-pound baby around the last half of the lake? Yep, you guessed it — this lucky lady. I guess I got my strength training in for the day also? Oh, and he was in SUCH a good mood once I started carrying him, he was practically blowing kisses to everyone we passed.

Then, once we got home, we decided to take another walk to take the pup to get his long overdue “pup cup” from Dairy Queen for his birthday.

Anyone deal with “heavy legs?” What was the outcome?

How did you enjoy the weather this weekend?



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close